Friday, October 31, 2008

I love Halloween

Happy Halloween everyone!

I really do love this holiday, it's probably my favorite after Christmas and only really because Christmas means seeing family I don't get to see very much. Why do I love Halloween so much? I love Halloween because I love the lifting of all concern and inhibition for one day and night.

Kids can only take candies from strangers on Halloween. In fact, strangers that DON'T give children candies can be expected to be harassed later that evening. Schools get egged and the next morning those in charge say "freaking Halloween...oh well." I don't attempt to say that it's a total free pass to any and all behaviors, but one cannot deny that things that occur on Halloween night get far less scrutiny than any other night. People are even encouraged to watch movies designed to make them nervous, disgusted and uncomfortable all for the cathartic release of knowing that it's "just a movie"...but I'll be damned if a lot of them don't take any extra look over their shoulder or in the back of their car on the way home. Anything that takes us that far out of our social norms and lets us explore the hidden parts our tendencies, desires, and psyche, even for a day, just makes me happy.

And to me, the costume is one of the best parts. Halloween means anybody gets to be anyone. Dorks can dress up as their role playing characters. Good girls get to dress as sexy as they like and the only thing anyone says is, "oh it's Halloween." You can be a princess, or a hero, or a bad guy, or dead, or anything else anyone can imagine. There is something very cathartic about knowing that, no matter what else occurs the rest of the year, on Halloween I can to put on anything I want and (assuming I'm not actually breaking any laws :P)be what I want answering to nobody who I don't want to. How freaking cool is that?? [note: i know the best philosophy is to never feel like anyone must be answered to, but think practically here; how often is 100% true other than Halloween? Wear this suit, use that uniform, etc. etc.]

This year myself and several friends will be experiencing the West Hollywood festivities. I've never been, but have been told it is quite an event and is something worth seeing at least once.

Oh, and what will I be this year? Well I'm going to be a chubby little boy in droopy overalls who loves a certain burger stand's food. And, lucky me, I've found a young girl with a favorite uncle who runs a burger stand. But it's odd, all of their burgers are square. Regardless, it's a match made in ground beef and bun heaven.





Happy Halloween everyone! Do something totally out of character today. It may be your last chance for the next year. :D

No comments: